Monday, November 16, 2015

Not Quite Dead

Well, uh, sorry bout that folks - I went NORDO for a couple months, which had readers wondering and querying whether the blog was dead. Nope, it's not dead - it's just restin'! But I think its rest is just about over.

Here's the long and short of it. You may have heard that my airline had a minor labor kurkuffle this summer when our pilots - for the first time ever - turned down a tentative agreement (65%-35%) and subsequently pretty much overturned the apple cart at our chapter of ALPA. I took an active and somewhat visible role in the fight against the TA, heard through the grapevine that my name had come up in high places, and decided I'd better lower my profile for a little while. I wasn't about to stop writing for Flying, but figured I could take a little break from blogging until things settled down. Well, now that the dust has cleared, we have a new MEC Chairman, a new Negotiating Committee, and a lot of new reps - all this a full month before our current contract becomes amendable. I suspect the more traditional contract negotiation process we're about to enter will drag on for several years, as it has at other companies. I'm not going to refrain from blogging that long. Writing has a certain intertia to it. Start writing, and you'll tend to keep going. Stop writing, and you tend to stay inert. In reality I probably could have resumed blogging a month or two ago.

The good news is that I have a bit of a backlog of things to write about. I actually have a few already-written posts that I'll release over the next couple days, and then I'll reflect on my last days on the Mad Dog and the preparation for and first several weeks of 757/767 training (I'm about halfway through right now). In the meantime, you should definitely check out Flying's December issue. Besides my usual column, I have a six-page feature about the flying/sailing trip to the Bahamas that I think turned out really well. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you're back Sam, always enjoy reading your columns, off to Barnes & Noble to get Flying to read your article.
~Matt from KDSM.

Anonymous said...

Good news for us Sam......I figgered you just had a couple CAS messages to tend with and once they were rectified, out of the holding pattern and cleared for the approach. Looking forward to your writings! -John (CL30 Capt, MHT)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back online. However, quite disappointed in your stance on the TA, especially seeing as you are so new to the company. Good luck in the 7ER program.

Joe
ATL-7ERA

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back! I have enjoyed your blog for around a year, and I intend to reread some of your older posts with a different perspective as I have just been hired as a FO for "NewCo" right out of a year of instructing after school. I start class at the end of the month