Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina Relief

I came back from hiking today (yeah, I worked up the motivation...even went up a mountain I haven't been on before) and sat down to watch the news...and holy. freaking. crap. Absolutely insane destruction in New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast. This is going to have implications far beyond that region. For example, many of the refineries that are shut down refine jet fuel. Prices are up approximately 20% today; with fuel constituting 30% of an airline's budget, such a hike is practically catostrophic. I can see several airlines filing for bankruptcy very soon if such prices continue. I think there are examples like that in many industries.

The blogosphere has mutually decided to devote today to blogging for Katrina relief. I'll not repeat what others have said, other than to urge you to help however you can. An excellent list of humanitarian organizations involved in the relief effort can be found at Glenn Reynolds' Instapundit. Those of you who would like to help with your airplanes or flying skills, AvWeb has the scoop for you.

0 comments: